A homemade birthday card, like most homemade stuff, has a special quality to it. For one, it’s cloaked with an invisible blanket of love.
Homemade cards can be as simple or as complicated in design as you want it to be. It’s really up to your own creativity and imagination.
There’s a wide variety of supplies you can use for your cards. From magazine cutouts, photos, paintings, die-cuts, ribbons, buttons, twine, to all sorts of embellishments imaginable, you’re never out of things to dress up your cards with.
Even if you’re limited in supplies or don’t want to spend much money on buying cardmaking supplies, there’s still many possibilities on creating a pretty-looking card.
Below is a step-by-step guide to show you how can you create a handmade card quickly. It’s just to offer you a little inspiration and the possibility on cardmaking.
There’s more articles on this site to highlight other birthday cardmaking ideas. So do take your time to browse through them for more ideas and inspiration!
- White card blank
- White cardstock/watercolor paper
- Black pigment-ink pen
- Watercolor pencils
- Paintbrush/Cotton swabs
- Gold spotty ribbon
- Gold gem
- Striped patterned paper from DCWV 6″x6″ Floral Paper Stack
- Pink cardstock
1) Draw a big flower on a piece of white cardstock/watercolor paper using a pencil. Draw over the pencil lines with the black pen.
2) Color in the flower with watercolor pencils using gentle strokes. Dip a paintbrush or cotton swab with water and brush it over the colored areas to achieve a watercolor effect.
3) Cut out the flower with scissors.
4) Attach the flower to the top center of the white card blank. Attach a gold gem to the flower center. Next cut out a strip of gold spotty ribbon and attach it underneath the flower using double-sided tape.
5) Handwrite your greetings on a strip of pink cardstock. Mat your greetings with a strip of striped patterned paper. Then mount your completed greetings to the spot as shown on the card.
6) Draw a border around the card with the black pen to frame the card.
This homemade birthday card is just one of the many ideas you can use to create your special handmade cards. There’s more simple card ideas on this site you can check out.
To discover how you can easily make beautiful handmade cards that will be treasured by your family and friends, be sure to check out 101 Creative Card Sketches.