A dress birthday card will make your girlfriends go gaga!
Shaped cards are more outstanding. And when it comes in the shape of a dress, it’s an instant hit.
I first saw this idea from a card making magazine with no instructions given. But it’s easy enough to attempt on. It’s a matter of sketching a simple dress shape, paste on some beautiful patterned papers and add on some “accessories”.
You can come up with so many different “dresses” using different patterned papers and “accessories”. As you get more confident, you can add variations to the dress design. You can even build up a wardrobe of paper dresses!
OK, let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of constructing a basic dress-shaped card.
- Pink Cardstock
- Pink patterned paper from DCWV Floral Paper Stack
- 5 white and 1 gold gems
- Gold-spotty ribbon
1) Fold the pink cardstock into half. Sketch a simple, classic dress shape on the pink cardstock using a pencil. Make sure that the shoulder straps fall on the fold of the card.
2) Cut out the dress with scissors, leaving the two shoulder straps intact. The dress-shaped card should open up into a card and be able to stand on its own.
3) Use this cut-out dress as a template and place it on the wrong side of the patterned paper. Trace the outline of the dress and cut it out with scissors.
Adhere the cut-out patterned paper dress to the pink cardstock dress. Remember to do it for both the front and back of the dress.
Arrange the gems into a flower shape to act as an accessory brooch for the front of the dress. Adhere the gems to the card as shown.
Tip: Liquid glue might work better when adhering gems to paper.
4) Score along the waist of the dress (front and back) to enable ease of opening up the card.
Cut a strand of gold-spotty ribbon. Apply double-sided to the ribbon. Attach the ribbon across the waist at the front of the dress, and link both ends to the back of the dress.
Leave excess at both ends and let them flap loose to act as a “ribbon” at the back of the dress. Alternatively, tie a real ribbon with the excess ends if they are long enough to do so.
In just a few steps, you’ll have created a beautiful dress birthday card for a birthday girl! Whether a girl or woman, she would love to receive such a pretty-looking card on her birthday.
I hope you’ll get some lovely compliments on your handmade dress birthday card.
For more creative card making ideas, do check out more simple card ideas.
To find out how you can be making pretty handmade cards every time, be sure to check out 101 Creative Card Sketches.