Learn how to make a stunning-looking birthday greeting card that’s appreciated by family and friends!
Take a look at how easy it is to create your own homemade birthday cards. With a few supplies, you’ll be making one beautiful card after another.
The purpose of this article is to inspire you and give you ideas on how you can quickly create your own cards with some simple drawings.
Even if you are a beginner in card making, this guide will help you make a card successfully!
- White square card blank
- Striped Patterned Paper from DCWV Floral Paper Stack
- Watercolor paper/ white cardstock
- Yellow cardstock
- Watercolor pencils
- Black inkpad
- 3 Gold gems
- Black pigment-ink pen
1) Cut out a square block from the striped patterned paper and attach to the white card blank.
2) On a piece of watercolor paper/white cardstock, doodle a birthday cake, add some swirls around the cake, and handwrite your birthday greetings using a pencil.
Trace over the drawings and handwritings with the black pen.
3) Color in your hand-drawn picture. Dip your watercolor pencil into water briefly and color directly on your picture. This allows you to control your coloring better, giving a slight watercolor effect.
Tip: If you’ve never used watercolor pencils before, try coloring on a piece of scrap paper first to get the hang of it. It’s easy but you might want to test-drive it.
After coloring, if you find the black lines have faded, trace over them again using the black pen.
Cut out your completed picture into a square block. Mat it with a piece of yellow cardstock. Ink the edges using the black inkpad.
4) Attach the completed picture to the top center of the card blank as shown.
5) Draw a stripe of ric-rac on the white card blank using a pencil. Color it in with yellow watercolor pencil. Cut along the drawn lines to create a paper ric-rac ribbon.
Alternatively, use a ric-rac ribbon.
Attach the ric-rac across the bottom of the card. Attach the 3 gold gems to the ric-rac as shown.
This is just one example on how you can quickly draw up a simple picture, color it in, and attach the picture to patterned paper to make an eye-catching birthday card. You can look at more simple birthday card ideas for inspiration.
To find out how you can be making handmade cards you absolutely adore easily and effortlessly every time, be sure to check out 101 Creative Card Sketches.