Dog lover birthday card idea is inspired by a doggie patterned paper that I recently bought. Simply by cutting out one of the many dogs on the patterned paper, I had great content for my card!
So be on the lookout for patterned paper that features pets that you know your birthday girl or boy adores, and then create a birthday card around it.
For this card, I’ve also recycled some old stuff that’s been sitting in my craft box for a long time and now I’ve given them a new lease of life. That’s the great thing about card making, you can always be recycling stuff and finding new uses for scraps. Enjoy!
Card Making Supplies
- Cardstock for cardblank and tree trunk – Bazzill Basics
- Yellow cardstock – The Paper Company
- Aqua scrapbook paper – Grant Archival “Scrapbook Paper Pack”
- Patterned papers for slopes – Brenda Pinnick Designs “Paper Confections”
- Doggie patterned paper – SEI “Park Buddies – Hot Dogs”
- Patterned paper for tree top – Brenda Pinnick Designs “Paper Confections”
- Black pen – Zig Memory System “Millennium”
- Blue button, stitched stripey fabric strip, red fabric strip, red & white stripey clothes tag, thread – all from stash
- Corner rounder
Card Making Steps
- Create a cardblank. Cut out a big block of aqua colored scrapbook paper and attach to fully cover the front of the cardblank. (Note: This is an extra step because I didn’t have the desired color I’ve wanted for the cardblank.)
- Layer the bottom of the card with three different patterned papers that complement each other. Remember to tear along the top edges of these patterned papers to create “slopes” for the card.
- Draw a circle on the yellow patterned paper, cut it out and outline the border with a black pen. Attach it to the left side of the card. Doodle the tree trunk on brown cardstock, trim it out, and attach it to the tree top as shown.
- Trim out a dog from the doggie patterned paper and adhere it to the top slope.
- Attach a strip of stitched stripey fabric across the bottom. Attach a shorter red fabric strip above the stitched stripey fabric strip. Attach a sewn blue button next to this strip.
- Attach a strip of red & white stripey clothes tag to the top right corner of the card. Handwrite greetings on a little strip of yellow cardstock and attach it on top of the red & white stripey clothes tag.
- Round the top left and right corners of the card with a corner rounder.
For more fun homemade birthday card ideas, you might like to look at the below card designs: