Butterfly wishes birthday card idea came because I wanted to create a card based on a big paper butterfly cut-out, sort of a paper piecing.
Then I realized I had with me two little fabric butterflies from my stash and they made great companions to the main butterfly. This is a card design that’s sending out lovely fluttering and gentle butterfly wishes to the recipient.
Butterfly cut-outs are really easy to make. Simply fold a piece of paper into half and cut out half of the body shape. So when you open up the piece of paper, it’s a balanced two-sided butterfly! You can make a wide, big butterfly. You can also trim out a little slender-shaped butterfly. It’s your preference.
Have fun with this simple paper piecing card idea! Enjoy!
Card Making Supplies
- Purple cardstock – Bazzill Basics, The Paper Company
- Cream and yellow cardstock – from stash
- Purple checkered patterned paper – HOTP Mixing Masculine Papers
- Greenish purple/purple circles/greenish patterned papers – “Paper Confections” by Brenda Pinnick Designs
- Cream patterned paper – Basic Grey “LilyKate-Cherry Blossom”
- Fabric butterflies – from stash
- Black pen – Uni Pin Fine Line
- White pen – Uniball Signo “Angelic Color”
- Mauve pen – Sakura “Gelly Roll Med”
- Tag labeler and red tag – from stash
- Circle and oval punches – Carl CarlaCraft Punches
- Scallop-edged scissors – CarlaCraft
Card Making Steps
- Create a cardblank with purple cardstock.
- Cut out a broad strip of purple checkered patterned paper. Tear alongside the top edge. Adhere it to the lower part of the cardblank.
- Cut out a big circle from cream patterned paper. Trim the edges with scallop-edged scissors. Use a black pen to doodle a scallop border around the circle. Adhere the circle on top of the purple checkered strip.
- Cut out the butterfly’s “body” from beige cardstock. Draw lines on its body with a black pen. Adhere it to the white circle. Doodle feelers for the butterfly with black pen. Cut out the butterfly’s “wings” from greenish purple patterned paper. Adhere the wings to the left and right side of the body. Punch out two circles from purple circles patterned paper and attach them to the left and right upper wings. Punch out two egg-shapes from greenish patterned paper and attach them to the lower left and right wings. Use white and mauve colored pens to doodle circles on the wings.
- Adhere two little fabric butterflies to the left side of the card as shown.
- Cut out the sun and its rays from yellow cardstock, outline them with a black pen, and attach them to the cardblank as shown.
- Handwrite “happy” with a black pen. Tag out “BIRTHDAY” with a tag labeler on red tag and adhere it below “happy”.
For more fun homemade card ideas for kids, do check out the designs below: